Did You Receive a Letter From The IRS? ..Don’t Panic!
Here are ten facts you need to know about IRS Notices and Letters
- Each year, the IRS sends millions of notices and letters to taxpayers for a variety of reasons.
- I cannot emphasize this enough Don’t Panic! You often only need to respond to take care of a notice.
- There are many reasons why the IRS may send a letter or notice. It typically is about a specific issue on your federal tax return or tax account. A notice may tell you about changes to your account or ask you for more information. It could also tell you that you must make a payment.
- Each notice has specific instructions about what you need to do.
- You may get a notice that states the IRS has made a change or correction to your tax return. If you do, review the information and compare it with your original return or call us so we can review your situation.
- If you agree with the notice, you usually don’t need to reply unless it gives you other instructions or you need to make a payment.
- If you do not agree with the notice, it’s important for you to respond right away. Once that notice or letter is mailed the clock starts clicking. You should write a letter to explain why you disagree. Include any information and documents you want the IRS to consider. Mail your reply with the bottom tear-off portion of the notice. Send it to the address shown in the upper left-hand corner of the notice. Allow at least 30 days for a response.
- You shouldn’t have to call or visit an IRS office for most notices. If you do have questions, call the phone number in the upper right-hand corner of the notice. Have a copy of your tax return and the notice with you when you call. This will help the IRS answer your questions.
- Keep copies of any notices you receive with your other tax records.
- The IRS sends letters and notices by mail. We do not contact people by email or social media to ask for personal or financial information.
If you need more information do not hesitate to call us at Creative Tax. Or number is (562) 251-1300 we can help